As I go about my usual business wasting time on social media, I often come across excellent articles on the craft of writing and the business of publishing. Because I’m distracted by cat pictures, I tuck them away in my pocket to read later. Every so often, I like to share some of the best information I’ve come across.
- On his excellent blog terribleminds, Chuck Wendig lays out some hard truths about writing and publishing.
- No one knows how to tell a story like Pixar. Lucky for us, Pixar storyboard artist Emma Coats tweeted 22 rules of storytelling. io9 collected the tweets here.
- On PubCrawl, an excellent blog about writing and the publishing industry, this post on how to respond to critiques gives excellent guidelines for anyone ready to seek out opinions on their work.
- For those of you getting ready to take the plunge and release a new book, Susan Spann has this excellent article on writing a business plan for your book.
- This infographic and article on the difference between literary, upmarket, and commercial fiction helped me figure out where my novels fit.
I hope some of these resources are helpful, as you go through your own writing and publishing process, or just as a peek into the industry!